Below we have listed a range of links and grouped these into categories to make them easier to navigate.
Advice on choosing your A-Levels
Choose the best A-levels or International Baccalaureate options for your future, whether you want to go to university or get a job straight after school or college. Available here.
- Find out about different options by searching 12 careers sectors full of advice and information such as salaries you can expect to earn, the types of jobs available and what your options are with, or without, a degree. Available here.
- From academic librarian to youth worker: look through graduate job descriptions to find out what each job involves and the qualifications and skills that are most needed. Available here.
- Prospects Careers is a comprehensive website that outlines a wide range of job profiles A-Z. Complete a quick skills test to see what job might suit you best here.
- The National Careers Service offers a similar website which offers all the above along with comprehensive information on Apprenticeships, T-Levels and Traineeships. Available here.
Advice for students interested in Higher Education and Post Graduate Education
- Morrisby, the School’s local careers platform, offers a range of information on Higher and Post Graduate Education. Available here.
- Prospects Careers is a comprehensive website that outlines a wide range of education options including Degree and Post Graduate education and employment opportunities. Available here.
- Universities rankings World University Rankings by Subject | Times Higher Education
- The Guardian University Guide
- The Complete University Guide offers a range of advice on course listings and their rankings.
- Complete University Guide - University Rankings, Guides and Courses
- The Good University Guide: The times and the Sunday Times
- The Best University of the year ranking 2023
- TARGET careers university profiles give details such as number of students, student-staff ratio and average UCAS tariff needed. Available here.
- UCAS' course search function allows you to browse thousands of courses by university, qualification level, study mode and region. Available here.
- Find out what university rankings mean by looking at how they are calculated and what measures are used. Available here.
- Take a look at these degree subject guides to help you decide what to study at university. Look at what content, teaching methods and contact hours would suit you best as well as what careers each subject might lead to here.
- If you have a career area in mind, look at these various articles to help you understand what degrees would benefit your chosen path. From law to photography, design and TV there are over 15 different areas to explore. Available here.
- These university reviews tell you what the universities are really like and are written by current students. Available here.
- Find out how much university will cost and get advice about tuition fees, whether you are from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Available here.
- The ‘I Could’ Website has thousands of career videos from hundreds of careers. Available here.
- National Careers Service; provides careers advice and information on a wide range of jobs, training course resources and funding. Available here.
- How2Become.com is the UK’s leading careers and educational information and development website. From here, you can learn how to write a CV, how to complete an application form, how to pass psychometric tests and also how to pass any job interview. Available here.
- Take charge of your career development and identify the skills you need to plan and achieve your career goals. Available here.
Building your CV
- Put together a CV that will show you in the best possible light, whether you are applying for work experience, an entry-level job or apprenticeships and similar programmes: Target Careers has a great website available here.
- See the VLE for templates on CV writing, template letters, and template emails
- Find out about online ability and aptitude tests for school leaver programmes, including numerical and verbal reasoning tests. Available here.
- Practice Reasoning Tests
- Practice Psychometric Tests
- Practice Aptitude Tests
- Student CV: Template + 20 Examples
- How to write a covering letter
- Make sure your online application form stands out for the right reasons and helps you get the apprenticeship place you want. Available here.
University application support
- Find out how to ace your UCAS application with our advice articles on starting your statement, what you should include, how it should be structured and how you should handle offers here.
- Discover what is appropriate to wear for a university interview and what clothes you should avoid here.
- Use our guide to deadlines to find out the key dates you need to know when applying to uni here.
Advice for your gap year
Thinking of taking a gap year before starting university or beginning work on an apprenticeship? Plan ahead so you get what you want out of your time out. Target Carers have a great article available here.
University open days
University open days are a fantastic way of finding out about the universities that you are thinking of studying at and the courses you might want to take. Here are some top tips for making the most of your visits.
The UK’s 100 most popular employers for school leavers
Take a look at the 100 most popular employers for school leavers as voted for by school pupils here.
The UK’s 50 most popular universities for school leavers
Find out the 50 most popular universities in the UK as voted for by school pupils here.